Harvest Birthday Wishes – Christmas (or Not) Bingo Challenge

Hello crafty friends!

It’s time for another challenge at the Christmas (or Not) Bingo Challenge Blog, and today I’m sharing a card I created as part of the Design Team. As always, we were given a fun choice board and could choose any column or row that inspired us.


For this card, I chose Column G, which asks us to use at least 3 of the 5 following elements:

  • Rectangle Shaped Card
  • Paper Piecing
  • Free Choice
  • Kraft, Wood or Wood Grain
  • Scarecrow or Crow Colored Image

I decided to challenge myself to use all five!

A Harvest-Themed Pop-Out Card

I wanted to create something that would have plenty of visual interest when opened, so I used the center pop-out panel layout from Sam Calcott as my starting point. Her tutorial shows how to create this fun center pop-out design, and I adapted the basic layout to fit my harvest theme.

You can find Sam’s original tutorial here:

Sam Calcott's Centre POP-OUT Card Tutorial

I love fun-fold cards that look fairly simple when they are closed but reveal something much more elaborate when they are opened. Pop-out designs are especially fun because they give you so much more space to decorate while still folding relatively flat. Similar pop-out constructions use scored and folded panels to create a dimensional scene inside the card.

For this card, the inside is definitely the star of the show. I designed it to be displayed open, which is why the front is much less detailed than the inside.

The Inside

The inside features a rustic harvest scene with a little scarecrow surrounded by pumpkins, sunflowers, crows, and other autumn details. I used several layers and dimensional elements to really bring the scene to life.

The center panel has a little hidden message featuring 2 Corinthians 9:10:

“Now he that ministereth seed to the sower both minister bread for your food, and multiply your seed sown, and increase the fruits of your righteousness.”

I thought this verse fit beautifully with the harvest theme of the card. I especially love how the Scripture message becomes part of the scene without taking away from all of the other details.

Checking Off the Bingo Board

Here’s how I incorporated all five of my Column G choices:

Rectangle Shaped Card:
The card is a traditional rectangular shape when it is closed. It is a wider rectangle when it is open. 

Paper Piecing:
The pumpkins are paper pieced with textured papers and pieced together.  

Free Choice:
My free-choice element was the Bible verse, which became a meaningful focal point of the inside of the card.

Kraft, Wood or Wood Grain:
I used kraft cardstock throughout the card, along with wood-grain patterned paper on the pop-out panels. I really like how the wood grain gives the card that rustic, country feel.

Scarecrow or Crow Colored Image:
I used both! The scarecrow is the main character on the inside, and there are several little crows tucked into the harvest scene. 

The Card Front


When the card is closed, the front is intentionally much simpler. I used a colorful patchwork of fall-themed patterned papers as the background and added a large “birthday wishes” sentiment.

The front gives just a little hint of the colorful autumn theme inside without giving away the whole surprise. Once the recipient opens the card, the much more detailed harvest scene unfolds.

That is one of my favorite things about making interactive cards—the outside doesn't always tell you what is waiting inside!

A Few Finishing Touches

I added little flowers, enamel dots, glittery washi strips, and dimensional elements throughout the card to finish everything off. The combination of the warm oranges, greens, reds, pinks, and turquoise gives the card a cheerful fall feel rather than making it strictly Thanksgiving-themed.

And, of course, I couldn't resist adding those pumpkins! πŸŽƒ

I had so much fun putting this card together and finding ways to incorporate every single element from Column G. I think the bingo board challenges are a great way to stretch your creativity because sometimes you end up combining elements 

Now It's Your Turn!

Why not head over to the Christmas (or Not) Bingo Challenge Blog and see what inspires you from our current bingo board? Remember, you only need to use at least three of the five choices from your selected row or column—but if you're feeling ambitious, you can always go for all five like I did!

I hope my harvest birthday card gives you a little inspiration to get creative with your own bingo-board combination.

Happy crafting, and I hope to see your creations joining us in the challenge!

Happy crafting! πŸ‚πŸŽƒπŸŒ»

Comments

Popular Posts